Help us create the community program and work with members of community of District Santa Isabel, Panama
Project: Help us to promote and support educating and informing members of the local community about environmental and social issues, health and nutrition
The volunteer program will be realized in phases:
- The maintenance and upgrades of our equipment and facilities
- Developing and creating structure to environmental educative talks, fitness and outdoor education classes, and nutrition and cooking workshops.
- Explaining and promoting programs in local community
- Teaching and practicing environmental educative talks, fitness and outdoor education classes, and nutrition and cooking workshops with members of the local community
- Working with members of local community to help with application and practicing new information.
For 2 weeks, Volunteers will help our association in creating structure of various environmental classes, and nutrition and cooking workshops, and fitness classes, as well as the installation of equipment and facilities, along with our skilled crew.
The daily program consists of; daily visits to local communities, participating in daily routine activities with members of local community, complementary Spanish lessons from our volunteer coordinators, beach plastic collecting, helping with installation and maintenance of the equipment and facilities of Ceiba Leaf, collective cooking, structuring and teaching of classes and workshops.
No specific skills and/or experience is needed for this project, only open-mindedness and the willingness to discover and learn. Volunteers in fields such as, environmental studies, social work, graphic design, engineering, and/or construction are welcome!
If you have a particular knowledge or skillset, a passion to pass on, or a talent to share, you will be able to share it with the community’s children and adults. Creativity and ideas are welcome, as long as they respect the community, its values and its lifestyle.
- At your arrival in Panama City, you will be welcomed by our local team. They will lead you to the community, which is about a 4 hour drive from the airport.
- Accommodation and meals will be provided at Ceiba Leaf, our base camp. There will be a thorough briefing on the local’s way of life, about your work on the project, our organization’s mission, the nature surrounding us, and about the safety measures to respect during your stay.
- Every day, we will leave for the surrounding villages, where you will get to know and work with members of the community. You will have option to stay few nights with host families in the local community
- The program comprises of 25 hours of work per week for the project, with week-ends free to explore the surrounding area.
- The program offers optional 10 hours of complementary basic Spanish lessons from our volunteer coordinators per week
- After every week of the program, we will meet in Ceiba Leaf so that the group can touch base and talk about their ideas and needs.
- Last day, our team will drive you back to Panama City/Airport.
NOTE: Our facilities in Ceiba Leaf Center provide potable, running, drinking water, outdoor showers, shared toilets, 110V power supply and limited Wi-Fi internet connection. You will sleep in a shared or private room. Ceiba Leaf is located in the middle of the tropical jungle, so expect to meet all kinds of animals and insects. The primary language in local community is Spanish, so basic knowledge will be useful.
You will have plenty of time to explore the surroundings, the national park, the rainforest, the rivers and the beaches. Additional activities are available like fishing, snorkeling, archery, horse riding, surfing, kayaking, kitesurfing. Equipment rental fee may apply.
Where does the money go?
The involvement in our volunteer program costs 600 USD per two weeks, per participant, all included.
The sum will be spent as follow:
- 200 USD to help fund the local projects to be held at Ceiba Leaf center
- 200 USD to cover cost of accommodation, food, and snacks.
- 200 USD to cover operational cost of the project
Dates: You can join program every Friday of the month starting from the 15th of June till 30th of November 2018, you have an option to extend your 2 weeks stay for fixed weekly rate 300 USD
Price: 600 USD per 2 weeks
Participants: 4 to 12 persons
What is included:
- Transport from Panama City to Ceiba Leaf
- 14 days of accommodation, 3 meals and one snack per day, complementary hot beverages
- Tutorials and instructions how to use power/hand tools and other equipment by our skilled instructors and volunteer coordinators, course completion certification
- Various workshops, classes and lessons, course completion certification
- Optional 20 hours of basic wilderness/jungle survival training, course completion certification
- All tools, materials and equipment
- English-Spanish lessons, course completion certification
- All taxes and fees
- Transport to Panama City from Ceiba Leaf