Help us create a community fitness center to promote fitness and outdoor education, instill healthy habits, nutrition, and unite youth members of community of District Santa Isabel, Panama.
Project: Creating youth community fitness and outdoor education center
Our goal is to help create a collaborative effort between young students, volunteers, and parents to engage in fitness activities to improve overall health and physical fitness of the local communities. Our objective is to provide students an opportunity to increase their physical fitness in strength, endurance, and flexibility through before-school programs, nutritional workshops, and parental participation.
The creating fitness center will be realized in phases:
1. The installation of fitness center equipment and facilities
2. Developing and creating fitness and outdoor education classes, healthy habits lessons and information, and nutrition workshops
3. Explaining and promoting fitness center to local communities
4. Teaching and practicing fitness classes, healthy habits lessons and education, and nutrition workshops
For 2 weeks, Volunteers will help our association to develop and create fitness classes, healthy habits lessons and education, and nutrition workshops, along with assisting in the installation of fitness center equipment and facilities, along with our skilled crew. The daily program consists of complementary Spanish lessons from our volunteer coordinators, assisting in the installation of equipment and facilities, collective cooking, structuring and teaching of classes and workshops.
No specific skills and/or experience is needed for this project, only open-mindedness and the willingness to discover and learn. Volunteers in fields such as, nutrition, fitness education, social work, or construction are welcome!
If you have a particular knowledge or skillset, a passion to pass on, or a talent to share, you will be able to share it with the community’s children and adults. Creativity and ideas are welcome, as long as they respect the community, its values and its lifestyle.
- At your arrival in Panama City, you will be welcomed by our local team. They will lead you to the community which is 4 hour drive away.
- Accommodation and meals will be provided at the Ceiba Leaf Campus. There will be a thorough briefing on the local’s way of life, on your work on the project, on our organization mission, on the nature surrounding us and on the safety measures to respect during your stay.
- The next day we will leave for the surrounding villages, where you will get to know the youth members of the community. You will have option to stay few nights with host families in the local community
- The program comprises of 25 hours of work per week for the project, your weekends will be free.
- The program offers optional 10 hours of complementary basic Spanish lessons from our volunteer coordinators per week
- After every week of the program, we will meet in Ceiba Leaf so that everyone can share their impressions and talk about their needs.
- Last day, our team will drive you back to Panama City/Airport.
Note Our facilities in Ceiba Leaf center provide running water, outdoor showers, shared toilets, 110V power supply and limited Wi-Fi internet connection. You will sleep in a shared or private room. Ceiba Leaf is located in the middle of the tropical jungle: expect to meet all kinds of animals and insects. The primary language in local community is Spanish, so basic knowledge will be useful.
You will have plenty of time to explore the surroundings, the national park, the rainforest, the rivers and the beaches. Additional activities are available like fishing, snorkeling, archery, horse riding, surfing, kayaking, kitesurfing. Equipment rental fee may apply.
Where does the money go?
The involvement in our volunteer program, specifically helping to create the youth community fitness center project costs 600 USD per two weeks, per participant, all included.
The sum will be spent as follow:
- 200 USD to help fund fitness center
- 200 USD to cover cost of accommodation, food and snacks.
- 200 USD to cover operational cost of the project
Dates: August 14 - August 28, 2018, with an option to extend your 2 weeks stay for fixed weekly rate 300 USD
Price: 600 USD
Participants: 4 to 12 persons
What is included:
- Transport from Panama City to Ceiba Leaf
- 14 days of accommodation, 3 meals and one snack per day, complementary hot beverages
- Tutorials and instructions how to use power/hand tools and other equipment by our skilled instructors and volunteer coordinators, course completion certification
- All tools, materials and equipment
- Optional 20 hours basic wilderness/jungle survival training, course completion certification
- English-Spanish lessons, course completion certification
- All taxes and fees.
- Transport to Panama City from Ceiba Leaf